I can't think of a single reason why C should be preferred over C++.
C can simply be viewed as a subset of C++

Not anymore, really. The current ISO standards for C and C++ have eliminated the "C++ is only a superset" aspect. They really are different languages.

Also, you CAN write C in an object-oriented style, as the GTK+ project demonstrates.

However...

I'm however very fond of the idea of writing the JVM in Java. I'm
beginning to look into the JikesRVM and I really like the idea,
especially as it is the language that everyone on this list is familiar
with.

That would be my preference as well. "Eating our own dog food" has the benefit of forcing us to deal with optimization issues that we might otherwise sweep under the carpet through using a lower-level language. It also introduces much more time debugging, fixing common errors, handling threading through low-level APIs, etc, to use either C or C++, not to mention that if we use C++, we would have to use a restricted subset of C++ to assure portability, and that will create its own headaches..

So I would support sticking with Java also.