Hi,

I am sure that the code donated could be of use somewhere in the harmony effort. Don't get too discouraged if no one jumps on it right away though. The biggest need for harmony is not so much the code that you have produced but the code that you will produce in the future.

At the start there may seem like a lot of talking gets done with no code but eventually things will settle down and I hope you are still around at that point. It would be very useful to get your input on the harmony JVM in what ever form it takes.

I think someone has already said it on this list (probably Stefano if I remember him correctly) but the best way to build a community is with crappy code and great ideas. Community is what is needed to get Harmony into a state that is likely to succeed.

(Just chiming in as you may not get an immediate response but that should not discourage you.)

---
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Archie Cobbs wrote:
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

Those who have a JVM and want to donate it under the apache license to seed harmony raise their hands now!

As mentioned before, and/all of JC [1] is available and I'll
be happy to relicense it. All of the code was written by me
(though I didn't invent all of the algorithms of course).

Some bits I can think of that may be useful, roughly ordered
from smaller and more likely to larger and less likely...

  - Splay tree implementation (splay.c)
  - String/UTF-8 functions (string.c, utf.c)
  - ZIP file reader (zip.c)
  - Class file parser (cf_parse.c)
  - Native local and global reference code (native_ref.c)
  - Per-classloader memory allocator (cl_alloc.c)
  - SableVM thin lock algorithm (lock.c)
  - Native library loader (native_lib.c)
  - VM Bootstrap code (vm.c, bootstrap.c)
  - JNI support (jni_invoke.c, jni_native.c)
  - Reflection support (reflect.c)
  - Dynamic invoker (invoke.c)
  - Threading support (thread.c)
  - Heap structure and garbage collector (heap.c, gc_root.c, gc_scan.c).
  - Bytecode interpreter (interp.c)
  - Class loading, derivation, and resolution (load2.c, derive2.c,
    resolve.c)

There's also an ELF object loader and DWARF2 parser if you need those :-)

-Archie

[1] http://jcvm.sourceforge.net/