So for those who are not compiler buffs but wish to be, this MIT online
courseware stuff can be helpful.  Also buy the books especially the
Tiger one for an intro....the more advanced books by Steven Muchnick are
a much more challenging read and the fortran hurts my head...though the
theory is helpful and there are some good explanations of the different
chip arcitecture.  I'm working up the stomach to actually READ them
cover to cover...though I'm not looking forward to becoming a fortran
expert...

course link:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-035Computer-Language-EngineeringFall2002/CourseHome/index.htm

There is other relevant MIT courseware but you can search for that
yourself :-)  Note that you should use the search and not rely on the
categorical stuff because somehow not everything that is searchable
seems to be locatable via categorical search.

Unfortunately its just lecture notes and projects, etc.  It'd be really
cool if they had some kinda audio or video or something...but then I
guess it'd be MIT on the cheap.

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver