Jakob> do we want to build something that competes with sun j2se/mono on the
Jakob> desktop side (gnome/redhat would be interested in that)

I don't speak for Red Hat, but I can explain a little about why we
ship gcj and not other VMs.  In addition to all our in house history
with gcc and gcj, it basically boils down to 3 things:

1. Platform coverage.  The solution has to work on at least whatever
platforms Fedora Core and RHEL work on.

2. Performance.  The result has to be reasonable competitive
performance wise.  E.g., starting eclipse has to be reasonable both in
time and space.

3. Debugging.  There has to be some debugger story.

Harmony would have to excel on all of these before I would even
consider, say, recommending it for FC.

Tom