on another email, he wrote:

> You can use gcj-as-jit right now, today, if you want, though it has
> some scalability problems.

ohhhh, ok [I should really do my homework]

People, as you probably already understand, being focused on web stuff,
Apache attracted pools of people (ourselves mentors included) that know
very very little about compilers and VMs.

As you might or might not know, this should not scare you: our intent
for harmony was done, exactly, to attract that pool of talents, from the
free java world, the academic world and the not-really-GPL-loving
industrial world.

If the mentors of this project were to write a JVM themselves, it would
be a piece of crap :-) So, consider our comments a way to stir the pot,
rather than a way to provide technical direction: with their mentor hats
on, nobody here will ever provide/dictate/mandate a technical decision,
that is left to the community. We will just try to lubricate the social
process (hopefully mostly in the background, to avoid getting in the
way) so that the technical one can advance more smoothly.

So, in short, I apologize in advance for our eventual cluelessness or
ignorance on the existing free/open java implementation or approaches.

--
Stefano.