>That's the point - that we need the native kernel, and can do the
>rest in C/C++ or Java or both, but hopefully not both - that we can
>divide the work once we have the kernel so things can proceed in
>parallel (or be donated, or use from 3rd party if appropriately
>licensed, etc)

I think so, too, especially as there might be a big work to do to support
the java 5 standard library, so that starting that early could be cool
(especially in order to show significant examples that "the VM just works",
even if speed is suboptimal [1])

Regards,

RB

[1] as some say, 3 rules for optimizing:
"1/ not yet, debug first
2/ not yet, debug first
3/ not yet, profile first"
(No guaranty. Please trust it and die.)