Archie Cobbs wrote:

Are you suggesting we do it w/ JC? :) Is there a single copyright holder such

I'll have to abstain from the voting on that :-)

I am not sure why not :)

I think that what Geir is proposing is that Harmony start from some exisitng codebase that is hacking on and reworked as part of a "learning" experience for everyone as part of a stepping stone before the "real" VM is rewritten once the committers understand the space (community and technical). If you think JC is a good place to start for this then speak up - but you must realize that it may end up being hacked a million different ways and not look like JC at all in the end. And it may get thrown out as people start on the next VM. If you are comfortable with that then ...

That approach makes sense to me. As pointed out before, JC is available
license-wise [1]. My guess is that at minimum there are some useful
bits that can immediately used.

excellent.

I'd also consider using some of the good ideas (mostly from SableVM)
that JC implements, if not the actual code. For example, per-class loader
memory areas, bidirectional object layout, and the threading state
management. The latter in particular is a bug-prone area that has already
been carefully thought out by Etienne Gagnon.

Both you and Steve have suggested the same sort of approach - namely that Harmony look at different ideas implemented in different JVMs and scoop the cream of the crop off the top. However not everyone here has the experience and background to highlight the important aspects of different JVMs. So what I would suggest is that you both start a list either in Wiki or in subversion that highlights these areas and where they are implemented and the papers in which they described etc. This will make it much easier for other people to make an informed decision.