Latelly I've been playing with a toy JITer written in java (like jikesRVM
baseline compiler) for x86 on windows. It works on a single pass and perform
no optimizations at all, but the generated code is correct.
The parts missing are the hard ones, object allocation and exception
handling.

Next time I'm going to implement something in line with jikesRVM`s vmmagic
(more like stealing the whole concept) and maybe give a try with
self-hosting. Steve, do you have some pointers about how jikesRVM or OVM
does that?

Rodrigo