Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
I assume that if the Harmony JVM gets half as good as is hoped there will be companys who want to adopt the JVM but continue to use Suns class library so that differences in libraries don't hurt their customers.

If that is a goal of Harmony then we've just made things a lot  harder.

So in summary: I just don't get it.

I suppose not - I thought the issue is really simple, and I'm sorry it's gotten a bit off track.

We started with the idea that in part, we should look at modularization of a VM platform. One of the connection points is the VM<->Class library interface, and since we have something to start with - the GNU Classpath interface - I suggested we start there, and see what additional information we can gather from those that have done more advanced and complete implementations (Sun, IBM, BEA, HP, etc) and with those considerations, produce an interface that works for where we are targeting to go.

No one is suggesting we standardize on Sun's interface, wait until the JCP does something about this, or bundle our (or anyone else's) stuff w/ Suns libraries. (As for the latter, it would be nice if it was an option for those that choose to go that route... Freedom is good :)

Learning from Sun et.al. and taking the best ideas is all good...

My reaction was to the notion that a goal of Harmony should be to
be API-compatible with Sun. Reading the first blurb quoted above,
that seemed to be the suggestion (maybe I misread it). IMHO it's
inappropriate to spend any (more) time worrying about API compatibility
right now, when the possibility is so far off.

On the other hand, anyone who has any bright ideas for how the class/JVM
API that Classpath has now might be improved please speak up (preferably
on the Classpath mailing list, not this one?)

-Archie