Hi all,

Please note that I'm not by any means trying to raise a debate of any kind
I'm just trying to brain dump some thoughts about future development
platforms.

I thought I'd share a "strange" thought that bubbled up in my mind while i
was in the metro (aka the underground or the tube). I think what stimulated
this idea are a set of articles i read about interoperability between java
and .net. The emphasize here is on code-level interoperability not through
any XML-based protocols (web services). Another thing is how each of the two
platforms is trying to port in the best of the other. From tools or
libraries (Ant -> NAnt, JUnit -> NUnit, etc) to Web development paradigms (
ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET> WebForms -> J2EE JSF). I know the that under the
hood WebForms and JSF are totally different but they essentially deliver the
same: Web applications based on an event model with Page Controllers and can
be visually designed by drag-and-dropping components in a visual editor. The
two platforms are heading to the same place: productivity, performance,
completeness. Did i miss somthing? oh yeah, being Cross-Platform. Both Java
and .NET are built around machines abstraction runtimes. Sun offcially
release JREs/JDKs for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Microsoft? .NET only for
Windows ( but the shared source CLI (Common Language Infrastructure) can be
build on Windows, FreeBSD and Mac OS X [
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3a1c93fa-7462-47d0-8e56-8dd34c6292f0&displaylang=en].
Mono [http://www.go-mono.com] is taking, driven by Novell, .NET development
on Unix-likes by a storm. Let's get back to our code-level interoperability
talk. I think i only have to mention two projects to get to my point: the
.NET-based JVM implementation known as IKVM [http://www.ikvm.net/] (which
ships now with Mono) which makes such interoperability a snap, and
Mainsoft's Grasshopper [http://www.mainsoft.com/], quoting their site:
"Grasshopper is a Visual Studio .NET(r) plug-in, which enables you to use C#
or Visual Basic .NET(r) to develop cross-platform ASP.NET
<http://ASP.NET>applications that run on Linux
(r) and any platform running Apache Tomcat."

Now i finally come to the strange idea. What if someday, somehow, somewhere
we come to the point where a platform could be developed atop these
platforms!! Let's call it PX or Png (sure that would be a "next generation"
platform :). So you write applications for PX and using PX Class Library
(which is will be engineered to provide unified interface to the underlying
Java/.NET class library)

I know it's a totally weird idea but who knows!!! Comments are welcome, for
sure, and you all have a nice day.

Regards,
ahmed