Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

On Jul 4, 2005, at 4:00 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

On Jul 3, 2005, at 8:25 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:

Joel Neely wrote:

Typed, constrained object references vs. untyped, unconstrained pointers.

C has typed pointers.

How are they really typed? In Java, I'll get a runtime exception when I mis-cast... In C, IIRC, I get long hours of debugging...

Cast? Why do you want to do that?

I'll take this as a straight question, although I can actually hear you saying it and I'm suspicious :)

I actually never understood why I do it other than for readability, because I do think that the runtime can figure it out.

There's a legitimate use when upcasting to a superclass.

public class Bar {
}

public class Foo extends Bar {
}

Foo f = new Foo();

Bar b = (Bar) foo;

I meant in C (which doesn't have superclasses).