On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 10:17 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I really understand where you are coming from, and really thought
> about how to present this, because there is no intent to stir up the
> license wars again :)  I had just been receiving questions from many
> people and organizations, and felt that we should just make it clear.

Of course we need to make things clear.
But these people need to voice their questions and opinions on the list.
Just like we all do. And then we decide how we want to cooperate with
each other. I would love to discuss and exchange ideas with people about
core library issues. How to best setup interfaces between the native
platform, runtime and core libraries. And I saw some suggestions that I
was about to comment on. But clearly if we are going the ASLv2 or the
high-way route I won't participate in that (or at least not through this
list).

What are the concerns of these people and organizations you have spoken
with? And how can we solve those concerns so that all participants can
freely exchange their knowledge so that all projects can adopt that
code?

You said that you wanted this policy to be an example for the rest of
Apache. Lets do that. Lets make a policy that means contributions can be
shared with projects like GNU Classpath, GCC, Kaffe, CACAO, JamVM, etc.
It seems that is what a lot of people have been wanting for a long time.
To build a bridge between GNU and Apache. And that is why we started
this Harmony effort in the first place.

I proposed a couple of ways to do that in my post. You propose that it
will all be under ASLv2 and closed off for these projects. How do we
resolve this conflict? Why are my suggestions not acceptable to you and
the many people and organizations you talked to.
Lets start by discussing that in the open.

Cheers,

Mark