usman bashir wrote:
> i am looking the same sort of things from IBM guys, as if i am not wrong
> they claim to do same sort of things before :)
>  and it will really help full if we can have two baselines to work on.

This would work better with a diagram, ...

IBM has a set of class libraries (only a subset of SE) that have been
independently developed, i.e. based on the spec.  These are designed to
be portable across VM implementations but have been principally written
against J9.

Other VMs can run the class library by implementing the JNI + VMI
interface.  Here "the VM" is defined as the interpreter etc. _plus_ a
core set of kernel classes.  This structure has already been described
here [1].

The class library natives and J9 VM in turn go through the port layer to
the OS.  I described the port lib briefly here [2].  Apart from
'portability', the port lib structure gives a degree of isolation and
control over VM instances by associating resource use with a particular
VM instance.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200507.mbox/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED]