El mié, 21-09-2005 a las 08:29 -0700, will pugh escribió:
> I think having a FastJIT and forgoing the interpreter is a pretty
> elegant solution, however, there are a few things that may come out of this:
>
>   1)  Implementing JVMTI will probabaly be more difficult than doing a
> straight interpreter
>   2)  The FastJIT needs to be Fast!  Otherwise, you run the risk of
> people not wanting to use it for IDEs and Apps because the startup time
> is too slow.

3) Memory. A typical fast, non opt JIT will generate 10-15 bytes of
machine code *per bytecode*. This means that, say, tomcat plus typical
web applications will generate more than 20Megs of jitted code that will
be executed just a few times. A fast interpreter+optimizing compiler
would achieve similar performance and save most of those 20Megs.

I've seen this going on in my efforts to get jetspeed running on top of
jikesRVM+classpath (which is leading to a series of bug reports to both
projects).

I have it running, in my linux-ppc TiBook, only one problem with
ClassLoader.getResource that is proving difficult to solve is remaining
for a full success. :)

Tomcat+Jetspeed runs (qualitatively) faster using an Optimized JikesRVM
+classpath version in my TiBook than using IBM-jdk-1.4.2, but it
requires 200 M heap, while IBM jdk runs it in 100 Megs. Also, startup
time is about the same or slightly higher, but this is mostly because I
don't opt-compile the optimizing compiler itself to save build time.

Example output from a typical run:

                Compilation Subsystem Report
Comp   #Meths         Time    bcb/ms  mcb/bcb      MCKB    BCKB
JNI        35         2.44        NA       NA      15.5      NA
Base    26074      8082.06    194.01    10.51   22977.7  2186.7
Opt       722     14685.43      2.46     6.76     226.7    33.5

Regards
Santiago

--
VP and Chair, Apache Portals (http://portals.apache.org)