Andy> A principle reason for {} scoping is that it allows register
Andy> allocation ; however, it is practically useless in the above.  9/10
Andy> you're going to have to put "myvar" in at least method scope so that
Andy> you can get at it outside of the t/c.  That defeats register
Andy> allocation in many cases anyhow.

I don't think this matters to a JIT, sine the braces and declarations
don't appear in any meaningful way in the bytecode.  And, as it is
common for java compilers to reuse local variable slots in a method
body (often with different types), presumably JITs have to do real
liveness analysis anyway.

Andy> I'd also like to be able to opt out of checked exceptions such that
Andy> they are autowrapped at runtime exceptions.  I agree with Microsoft on
Andy> that one.  It took me awhile...but checked exceptions do more harm
Andy> than good.

This is a java->bytecode compiler issue, not a runtime issue.
Checked exceptions are only checked by the compiler, not by the VM.

Tom