I cannot see how adding package private classes can possibly be
classified as 'extend the defined namespaces'. This makes perfect
sense and allow implementation classes easier access the guts of spec
classes (eg, org.apache.harmony.ClassLoaderStuff will have some hard
time to mess with java.lang.ClassLoader insternals, but
java.lang.ClassLoaderStuff won't).

I see no point in been nicer than Sun on this matter, as there are
many package private classes around java.* - nice guys finish last ;-)

I see 2 options here:

-Allow for some implementation stuff to package private
-Have a org.apache.harmony, or something else, package tree where all
implementation stuff will reside.

In the first case, only trusted code will be allowed to access such
code by using reflection. Otherwise the SecurityManager will stop it.

In the second case, we will need some classloading hacks to forbid
application code to access public classes on the org.apache.harmony
tree.

Given a full j2se implementation, which one will require less effort
and code to be running ok?

Rodrigo