Hi Dalibor,

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 11:02 -0800, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 05:58:20PM +0000, Tim Ellison wrote:
> > > Luckily there are several in depth books about
> > > various parts of the core library. O'Reilly and Addison Wesley publish
> > > some very good titles. Since real programmers use these books and the
> > > examples they give they are often a more solid base to work from.
> >
> > At the risk of sounding boring, it is worth noting that the books'
> > material is usually copyrighted and licensed too -- so we have to be
> > careful not to copy examples from any reference material into Harmony's
> > implementation or test suites where the license is incompatible with the
> > ASL.
>
> Licenses in real, printed books?
>
> I've only got three words: first sale doctrine.

O, come on. You know what Tim means. Normally books don't allow copying
of their text for arbitrary purposes. You cannot just copy large chunks
of descriptions or example code from books without the agreement of the
publisher first. The main point is that the javadoc as published isn't
really a spec (even if some people call it that way). You do need real
books that describe what the stuff does that we want to be compatible
with. In the end it only matters what real programs do and real programs
are based on real descriptions of the core library as described in these
books.

Cheers,

Mark