On Nov 18, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

1) the two projects need a middle ground, a philosophy-neutral licensed interface code that can be used by both and implemented by all the pieces of the puzzle. I would suggest something like http:// www.openvm.org/ and an MIT license. Both projects can use it, both projects can implement it, both projects can decide to adhere to it for sake of immediate reusability *and* clear license virality isolation.

We'd been circling around this issue earlier in some of the architectural discussions, for all the obvious reasons, and I think it's a good solution.

I was thinking that's it's a bridge to burn when we get to it, but we're actually here now if you believe that the VM/classlibrary interface is an important thing to get resolved (I do). However, I do worry about patents here, and the MIT license is absolutely silent about it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]