Tim Ellison wrote:
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

Tim Ellison wrote:

Aren't we getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, the existing tests
hardly need organizing (all three of them!) -- but let's go mad and
assume we have lots of tests housed in our repository.

Not really, as there are quite a few in the intel security contribution.

That's unfair!  It hadn't been accepted when I wrote that! :-)

LOL :)

(3?  That's pathetic!)

Hey, you have commit rights everywhere -- go for it!

They are regression unit tests to match the issues fixed so far.  I
think a 'ten test-case penalty' is appropriate for every name-calling
incident ;-)  Besides as others have said, there are other test suites
out there.

We'll incorporate that too.

What is the useful distinction for regression tests being kept separate?
I can see that you may distinguish unit and 'system-level' tests just
because of the difference in frameworks etc. required, but why do I care
if the test was written due to a JIRA issue or test-based development or
someone who get's kicks out of writing tests to break the code?

Well, it's been my experience that unit tests generally are fairly
straightforward and isolated, where a regression test used to
demonstrate a bug might be fairly complicated, incorporating more than
the single unit you are trying to test/fix/debug/whatever.

Well like I wrote, I can see that distinction and agree -- but
complexity is not based on whether it is a regression or not.  Put the
test into a unit test bucket if it sits naturally there, otherwise it is
in a suite that may require more complex set-up/environment etc. and
maybe some scenario driving.

That works.  THat's all I really wanted.

<snip>

I've never used TestNG, so have no opinion at the moment.  What's so
good about it?

I'll report back.

Since we have no current setup for tests, I'll assume some leeway to
take a run at it as there are no existing toes to step on.  First task
will be to get your 3 [pathetic! :) ] unit tests running

Well now the security contribution has been accepted your task has grown.

Shouldn't be too hard. I want to work this upwards to the root too, to start doing this broadly.