On 1/16/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Of course, although I'd be interested to see how you do fine-grain
> testing of the internals, which in my opinion is very useful, as the
> promises made by private and package access code to other class-level
> and package-level code is just as important to the promises made by
> public APIs to users.

I fully agree with this note. In addition, I  also think that the
distinction should be made between the conformance tests those purpose
is to exercise the publicly visible API, and the unit tests, those
purpose is to exercise "all functions and methods so that whenever a
change causes a regression, it can be quickly identified and fixed"
(definition taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing). By
their definition, unit tests are aimed to check every piece or module
of the code, including the private one.

It is the purpose of the unit tests to keep the control over the
package or class internals such that other pieces of the same package
or class are not unintentionally broken during a change. This really
helps when the multiple people or teams are working on the same
package or class.

For Harmony, the need of having unit tests for the package private
functionality can be driven by the fact that the multiple classes may
interact with each other through the package private API's. There is
no way to guard against changes in the package private API's except
that (a) use reflection/JNI or (b) have tests in the same package. I
believe option (a) is just extremely inconvenient.

Thank you,
Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division