Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

George Harley wrote:

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

George Harley wrote:
What is the problem with using httpd to test Harmony ?

It's a rather large external dependency. Reminds me of the time we got the TCK for JavaMail (a story in itself) and the only practical way to use it was to get Sun's IMAP server which only ran on Solaris.

So what I was getting at is can we use something smaller/lighter that we can include in the project for this? What is it required to do?

The tests require an HTTP server, an FTP server and a SOCKS server to be listening on certain (configurable) ports.

All of which are available in this "toaster language" that we like to write in...

The respective servers need to have certain resources - text files, jars etc - deployed on them as a number of the java.net.* tests try and access them from the configured locations. The tests check that the expected content is available, that it is the expected size, contains the expected data etc etc.

Sure - of course.

There are a number of mature, stable, freely available HTTP/FTP/SOCKS servers out there that will do just great for satisfying the demands of these tests so I don't propose to recommend anything in particular (although I have had no problems running Apache HTTPD on my local Windows machine). I don't see any justification for someone to spend time developing a "new server" to run these tests. But, hey, it's not my time that will be wasted...

The goal should always be :

$ svn co $URL
$ ant
$ ant test

and all should work. Now, I know that is just an ideal - there may be things one may have to do. But running a target test server is fairly strightforward, I would think. There's an FTP server somewhere in incubator, tomcat clearly has HTTP support and if you don't want that, use jetty - it's embeddable. Have a canned webapp that you deploy to deliver resources in a neat bundle...

Right - and as the tests do not mandate any particular HTTP/FTP/SOCKS server then integrating executable versions of the freely available servers you describe into the test suite sounds like it should not be much of a problem.

Best regards,
George
IBM UK

What I'm trying to have happen is it be easy for any new user or potential contributor to get things up and running. (I know that when I'm looking around at new things, and I have to do something external to the project or modify my environmnet, I mentally throw a ManWhatAPainInTheBacksideWhyAreTheyWastingMyTimeException and move on...)

Also, I'd like to avoid becoming a httpd help desk for our users/contributors/etc....