The cygwin.dll acts as an emulation layer for all those POSIX functions
that
Windows doesn't have. If a program doesn't call any of the functions
provided
by cygwin.dll, then, this library is not needed and, I guess, it's not
even loaded.

GCC, when used on Cygwin, produces always a native executable file for
Windows, and
the extension is .exe.

Actually you have a choice now. Cygwin gcc can build for cygwin.dll
or, with "gcc -mno-cygwin", for the native msvcrt.dll.  The latter
does not require cygwin.dll.

Regards,
Mark.
Hi Mark,

thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to build JCHEVM with that option enabled.

I figure that if I try to build a program that makes use of POSIX functions,
with "gcc -mno-cygwin", there are two options:

1. Those functions will be embedded in the executable file (.exe)
2. GCC refuses to build

Enrico