Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

The issue is one of exposure - would there be any problem if our developers were exposed to the code in the Sun bug database.

You are right. I didnt realize that bugs database could expose developers to code

I believe the answer is "no" as long as we don't copy anything.

geir

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

Paulex Yang wrote:

Ah, thank you very much, but...I have some concerns whether we can look at the Sun's bug database. Any official ideas from Harmony PPMC? ;-)

I actually asked that question, and don't have an answer yet. Are there any listed terms of use or such?

<aside>
Lets not distinguish the PPMC that way - no need to place any special empahsis there.
</aside>

geir

karan malhi wrote:

You might want to look at this http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6201170

Paulex Yang (JIRA) wrote:

[ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-156?page=comments#action_12368656 ]
Paulex Yang commented on HARMONY-156:

All the spec about Charset historical name is:
" Some charsets have an historical name that is defined for compatibility with previous versions of the Java platform. A charset's historical name is either its canonical name or one of its aliases."

From this paragraph, I personally think the historical name is specific to RI without any public standard:(, so the only way to be compatible with RI is write testcases to get all historical names of RI supported Charsets, and store them in an map.

I can provide the patch of tests(to get all historical name) and the mapping implementation, but before that, I hope I can get some better idea from the mailing list to avoid this ugly solution:-\.

InputStreamReader.getEncoding() and OutputStreamWriter.getEncoding() should return a historical charset name. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        Key: HARMONY-156

InputStreamReader.getEncoding() and OutputStreamWriter.getEncoding() return canonical names on the given charsets instead of historical ones. For example, new OutputStreamWriter(new ByteArrayOutputStream(), "UTF-16BE").getEncoding() has to return the "UnicodeBigUnmarked" string as a historical name. But it returns "UTF-16BE", that is a canonical name. The java spec reads the historical names as the charset names defined for compatibility with previous versions of the Java platform.

--
Karan Singh