On 3/22/06, Leo Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 06:01:48PM -0800, Weldon Washburn wrote:
> > Below is a list of modified kernel files that allow Harmony ClassLib
> > to run "hello world" on any JVM that is expecting GNU Classpath.
>
> If that means what I think it means that's *awesome*.

Thanks.  To be clear, I have only gotten "hello world" running.  There
is still a bunch of work to be done to get Harmony Class Library
completely functional on a GNU Classpath  JVM.  For example, I
commented out security.

> Once this code is
> in SVN and tested a bit I think you should send a message out to their
> classpath mailing list, I'm sure they'll have useful feedback...

Good idea!

> >  I would like to put them somewhere in the ClassLib tree. Overwriting the
> > existing kernel files with the modified files is a really bad idea.
> > How about the following directory structure:
> >
> > kernel/GNU_Classpath_wrapper/src/main/java/java/lang/Runtime.java, etc...
>
> I'm pretty much mister clueless here, but I /suspect/ what makes just a
> little more sense is
>
>  kernel/src/GNU_Classpath_wrapper/java/...

Good point.  kernel/src/GNU_Classpath_wrapper........  makes more sense.
While we are at it, maybe create an empty directory for
kernel/src/Sun_Classpath_wrapper   ;)

How do I get permission to add the directories and files to SVN?

> > Files in the kernel directory that were modified:
> <snip/>
>
> I imagine keeping these different trees in sync is going to be *painful*.
> I always find "native" suddenly introduces the desire for things like
> "#ifdef"...

Yes it is a pain keeping the different trees in sync.  The benefit is
being able to run on GNU Classpath compatible JVMs.  Note the Linux
source tree has a similar kind of problem accounting for all the
different hardware platforms.

       - Weldon

--
Weldon Washburn