On Mar 23, 2006, at 1:28 AM, Etienne Gagnon wrote:

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

b) hopefully an ICLA from each contributor

Do you need this for "past contributors"?  This would be very onerous.

SableVM, throughout history, has maintained a "clean room" development
process, with utmost respect for intellectual property of others.  Our
current contribution policy is strictly enforced; every contributor has
formally agreed to the following terms:
http://sablevm.org/svn/repository/sablevm/trunk/doc/ contribution_policy.txt

The issue is that past contributors submitted their code
and licensed it to SableVM under whatever license SableVM
has. To allow the ASF to relicense the s/w, those contributors
must approve that effort, and an iCLA is one legal vehicle
that we use to allow that to happen. When SpamAssassin
moved to the ASF, we went through a similar effort
and obtained iCLAs.