FaeLLe wrote
Yes i figured it was Birelli's reference counting algorithm.

yes, remember that we followed Sun's spec, and it says on section 3.3:
"RMI uses a referencecounting garbage collection algorithm similar to
Modula-3's Network Objects.  (See "Network Objects" by Birrell, Nelson,
and Owicki)"

Our university research group has currently identified faults with that
speific algorithm and I am working on an implementation of the revised
version.

yes, we are aware of some of the faults, like creating a circular reference.
BTW: Sun's implementation has the same problem.

However I was wondering if you could point me towards some
literature/material that discusses these specific features that are imposed
by RMI's dgc api spec ? These would be very beneficial.

Unfortunatelly we did not have any document describing these specific
features;  we worked based on Birrel algorithm and we implemented the
API, while doing that we found some non-solved issues, and we created
our own solution for them.
What we did document were some issues we found on the spec.
(follow this links for further info:
http://www.itc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/knownissues.html#10
http://www.itc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/specissues.html#8 )

Daniel