On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:05:11PM -0800, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>  3) not having ownership does not effect the ability for the ASF to
> create successful and perpetual open development efforts around such
> code. The owner cannot stop the ASF from continuing the effort unless it
> violates the contract that was signed with the CLA. Given the broad
> spectrum of rights that the CLA gives to the ASF.
>
>  4) copyright statements and giving credits are two different things
> and I think it's wise to keep them separate.
>
>  5) the ASF considers it a moral obligation to give credit when due,
> not a contractual one. In 10 years, Etienne is the only one who had a
> problem with this.

Or, potentially, the only one who has ever brought it up :-)

> It is reasonable for him to ask for such an
> obligation to be contractual and not just moral, yet it is also
> reasonable (and predictable) for some ASF members to feel insulted by
> such a request.

Hadn't actually thought of it in those terms just yet (and guessing at
other people's opinions is always hard), but yeah, I can very much
imagine things like that. Hmm.

How confident are you this is the first time the question has been asked?
It, and its social and moral implications (and the same for the possible
answers) is in some ways quite intriguing...

- LSD