... snip ...

> > > This would lead to "hy.platform" being defined as:
> > >
> > >   Linux.x86
> > >   Windows.x86
> > >
> > > We could add exceptions - for instance, to make 'Linux' lower case -
> > > but then we'd only need to add exceptions later for 'Solaris', 'Aix',
> > > etc.  I think we'd be better to avoid this and only have exceptions
> > > where:
> > >
> > >   * the name contains characters that can't be used in file names, or
> > >   * there is a clear reason to normalize - e.g. "Windows XP", etc.
> > >
> > > So, what do people think?  Is there a compelling reason to maintain
> > > the differences we have today - e.g. Linux in lowercase, 'ipf' rather
> > > than 'ia64' - or can we just stick with the ant defines?
> > >

> > I would like to have us all start thinking in this early stage about
> > abbreviations across the _whole_ of the Harmony component
> > roster.  In particular, I would like to get my BootJVM code
> > using the same tokens as elsewhere.  Right now, I am using,
> >
> > OS names:
> >     linux
> >     cygwin
> >     windows
> >     solaris
> >
> > CPU names:
> >     intel
> >     sparc
> >     ppc
>
> Do you distinguish between ia64 and x86_64?

Well, uhh, no.  Even as I was writing this, I thought I should
clarify what I mean by "intel", that is, the x86 architecture
used by MS Windows versus anything else.  By 'ia64' do
you mean the Intel Itanium with a native word size of 64
bits, I presume?

I have never had occasion to use that archtecture.  What
distinguishing features does it have for application software
that needs CPU- and OS-dependent code?  I would be
interested in supporting it for BootJVM.  (If I did so,
I would probably start out with a build token of something
like 'itanium' to be consistent with the rest of the code.)

Thanks,

Dan Lydick

> > Word widths:
> >     64
> >     32
>
> Yes.  We might as well create ${hy.bits} and ${is.64bit} and
> ${is.32bit} definitions in the same file while doing this
> consolidation.
>
> Thanks again for the constructive comments.  Much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> -Mark.

... snip ...