Hi Enrico,

Enrico Migliore wrote:
> My ultimate goal, is contributing to the development of a reliable JVM
> which will run on the ARM platform, because I work in the embedded
> systems area. I don't care if  such a goal will be achieved in 2 or 3
> years, the only thing  I care is not to waste my time in volunteering on
> a thing that may be abandoned.

2 things:

1- SableVM has, from the beginning, put portability as one of its main
objectives.  This is why we went all the way to write an inline-threaded
interpreter engine, as to get as much speed without sacrificing
portability and requiring knowledge of intimate details of the target
platform (assembly language, ABI, etc.).  We also kept easier to port
interpreters (switch and direct threaded).  The switch-threaded
interpreter is a pure ISO C interpreter, does not emit a single gcc
warning with -pedantic on.  The other two interpreters require gcc
extensions (and/or a little inline-assembly code).

2- The SableVM project will not be abandoned any time soon.  It is one
of my main research vehicles, and I am a relatively young tenured
professor at UQAM.  Unlike many other open source JVMs which are
primarily the project of students, SableVM is a project driven by a paid
professor.

You should chose to work on the project that you feel most comfortable
to contribute to.  I don't know of any open-source VM that would reject
contributions (at least, without a good reason).  :-)

Have fun!

Etienne