Hi

As far as I can say, the main problem of porting a JVM, designed for UNIX, to the Windows environment are the ANSI signals: Windows, in fact, doesn't honor not even a fourth of all ANSI signals, therefore, the JVM signals handler WILL NOT be called by Windows.

I am not an MSVS expert, but my previous MS C/C++ work has had
no problem using the signal library, which was in any case borrowed
from Unix, so I don't think this will be a problem.  The only signal I
really need is SIGALRM for the time slicer.

If nothing changed since MSVC 6.0 (1999), the signals available in Windows are:

SIGABRT,SIGFPE,SIGILL,SIGINT,SIGSEGV,SIGTERM

Yet:

"The SIGILL, SIGSEGV, and SIGTERM signals are not generated under Windows NT. They are included for ANSI compatibility"

I don't know yet if and how Cygwin deals with this kind of problem...
Those who have compiled it had misc. header files to adjust, but
nobody has so far complained about signals.

Thanks,

Dan Lydick

.... snip ...

Enrico