Mark Hindess wrote:
I did briefly look at adding a source snapshot to the snapshot target
but decided that trying to avoid picking up any non-source files was
too error prone and that the only reliable way to make them is to take
a clean checkout.

Yah, indeed, but that's not too much of a burden. That's probably good practice anyway for doing the binary and source snapshots - some script that does that for a provided revision number, does a checkout, and then kicks off the regular script in the checked-out tree...

While looking at this, I wondered about whether the source snapshot
should include .svn directories.  Having them might be useful to get
the initial checkout that people could then update.  However, the .svn
directories do account for some 135M my harmony tree which comes to
around 18M for a "gzip -9" tar - approximately double the size.

No, don't add .svn - it doubles everything as there's a complete copy in there.

My reasoning is this - if someone can't do "svn checkout" to get the tree to start with, adding this baggage won't help them. They are getting the source snapshot because they probably can't get to SVN.