Stepan Mishura wrote:
On 4/20/06, George Harley wrote:
Hi Stepan,

As I recall it ( I've not my morning coffee yet so it could get a bit
unreliable here :-) ) the motivation for wanting resource files on the
classpath was to enable serialization data files to be read in by test
programs without depending on specific file locations. Copying such
serialization data files to a bin location prior to running the tests
obviously gets them on the classpath in a very simple way.

Yes, but we get the same if we just add resource directory to classpath -
that is simpler then copying.

Hi Stepan,

You are saying that the source folder containing the resources should be added as an extra classpath entry when running the tests. I prefer only having "output folders" (e.g. bin folders) on the classpath so I copy the resources across. Both approaches seem fine to me. At least one popular Java IDE gives developers the option to send compiler output to either the source directory or to a separate output folder.

The documentation for the Ant copy task states that that "files are only
copied if the source file is newer than the destination file". I
interpret that as meaning that we should not expect to see the copying
of thousands of files each time we run the tests.

But the build removes 'bin' directory during clean up so all copied resource
files are removed too.

What bin directory do you mean here ?

Thanks,
Stepan.

Best regards,
George

Stepan Mishura wrote:
Hi George,

Some time ago we agreed to copy resource files to classpath (i.e.
bin/test
directory). I saw that you added corresponing targets to build files.
But
now I realized that I don't understand why we should copy them instead
of
simply adding resource directory (i.e. src/test/resources) to classpath.
May
be there are simple reasons to do this that I don't know but anyway ...
so
why we have to copy thousands of files (there is no doubt that in future
we
will have thousands of resource files) each time we run tests?
Thanks,
Stepan Mishura

Stepan Mishura