So howabout a firmer test that will break when string is changed? that might at least let you sleep better.

geir

Tim Ellison wrote:
Ok, so reading everyone's post it seems that:

 - we agree that there should be some way to ensure people do
   not inadvertently modify String's shape, but

 - there are different ways to achieve that goal, and requiring
   people to acquire a lock is not favored.

I propose that we leave this thread as a further reminder to all, and if
we catch any transgressions that we revisit the mechanism.

Just to reiterate, it is certainly not my intention to prevent people
from working on String, I just want them to do so knowingly.

Etienne Gagnon wrote:
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
3) Lock down function and behavior tightly with tests - that if
modified, tests will break, and that should raise an alarm to the
committer.
One easy way would be to add a test that compares the String.java source
code with a saved version, and that fails if unequal.  This way, any
change will trigger a test failure.  To get past this failure, one will
have to change both String.java and the saved test version.

Just an idea...

Etienne