Daniel Fridlender wrote:
Hi Vladimir,

Yes, I can make our results public of course.  We have tested both
implementations for RSA key generation, which is a mix of random prime
generation and modular arithmetic (such as multiplicative inverse
calculation).
The testing platform was:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26GHz
Cache size: 512 KB
Total Mem: 1035492 KB
OS: Linux kernel 2.6.11-6mdk #1
JDK: SUN Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05)
JCE Provider: Bouncy Castle release 1.30

We obtained the following results for keys of length 512, 1024 and
2048 bits.  The figures are the average of 20, 15 and 5 iterations
respectively.

HARMONY-39
512 bits: 231.22 ms
1024 bits: 3361.98 ms
2048 bits: 37620.38 ms

HARMONY-199
512 bits: 149.05 ms
1024 bits: 1245.45 ms
2048 bits: 16826.24 ms

We also tested encrytping and decrypting, but in that case there were
no significative differences between the implementations.

have you tried on other JVMs? (I wouldn't want the optimizations to be tied to the way Sun's hotspot does things)

--
Stefano.