Tim Ellison wrote:
What I'm trying to convey is:

1) We should be doing spec-driven development, not development based on
probing the behavior of any particular implementation of the spec  (even
the RI).

I believe this is in best keeping with the spirit of Sun's intent for
independent implementations of Java.

Absolutely! However, I don't think Sun even does this in pure form - they have persisted bugs version after version because they didn't want to break customers.

2) Since we know from experience that the spec leaves many questions
unanswered, we should use the RI of the spec to resolve those questions
using the public published interfaces to the RI.  Typically this will
mean running a test, written to public APIs, and observing the result.

3) Compatibility with existing implementations is very important to us,
therefore we will run our tests written based on the spec against both
our implementation and the RI (and possibly other implementations) to
ensure we behave in the established way.

So far so good.

Where there are anomalies or inconsistencies in the way the spec
describes how things should work, how they work in the RI, or how they
work in accepted implementations, then we discuss, decide, and document
the chosen solution for Harmony.

Absolutely.

We're in harmonious agreement.