On 4/27/06, Geir Magnusson Jr  wrote:

> Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to discuss naming conventions for serialization tests - does it
> > make sense to separate serialization tests from unit tests?
>
> I actually don't know.  What are the pros/cons?

I'd propose to separate them. It seems to me that this approach more
manageable and flexible, for example, we may wish in future to move
serialization tests into separate test suite or we can select to run tests
for serialization only, for example, if we update/improve serialization
framework. Also we may put(force) some requirements how should test for
serialization should like. This will unify serialization tests (for example,
it may be done in a way like SerializationTest does or any other way. Right
now I wouldn't want to argue whether it is good to create super class to be
extended by test or not - it will be the next topic :-).)
In case if we mix testing serialization functionality with tests for API
methods then we won't have such opportunities.

So the question was: does it make sense to keep serialization test separate
or everybody OK with mixing them with unit tests for API methods?

Thanks,
Stepan.

Stepan Mishura