>  Is there any particular reason for using C++?

Well, there was no any specific reason to develop in C++ except just
the developer's convenience.  Some of the parts, for example - JIT
compiler, were believed to be pretty complex and people didn't see how
it can be easily done without exploiting the object-oriented features.

> Could you briefly tell us the story of  DRLVM?

I wouldn't go much into the history of the code. In fact, it was
written by the different teams and at the different times. In
particular, you may not always find the synergy in the development
approaches for the different subparts. This is one of the things that
we could improve together now at Harmony.

Thanks,
Andrey.