On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:57:04AM +0100, Tim Ellison wrote:
> Is there any way we can couple the mailing list postings to JIRA?

Interesting question! I'm sure it should be possible :-)

> I often find it hard to go back and find the -dev list discussions we
> have had for particular issues.  If we could have links from JIRA to a
> mail archive of subject headers containing HARMONY-XYZ tags that would
> be great.

Heh, one alternative is to use a better mailer :-)

In mutt you go...

/ ~s HARMONY-XYZ

and if I want to go really fancy I'll usually do

  !mairix bs:HARMONY-XYZ
  c ~/mailsearch

to search cross-list and deeply into archives. Of course, apple users will
just go

  apple+space HARMONY-XYZ

it'll take minutes instead of seconds but it kinda works too if you keep
your mail volume down and use Apple Mail.

In any case, it should be possible to create a webapp tool that does
this kind of thing, eg

  1) get list of jira prefixes
  2) get list of mbox files
  3) correlate using (HARMONY|INFRASTRUCTURE|MAVEN|GERONIMO|...)-[0-9]+
     3a) collapse threads, keep only first message id in a thread
  4) get list of mailing list corresponding to jira prefixes
  5) for each match, construct the mail-archives.apache.org URL
     using that list
  6) use the jira interface to figure out whether the message id
     was already mentioned, if not, post a comment listing the
     message id and the mail-archives URL

Neat little task. Lets find a volunteer :-). Maybe posting to infrastructure@
or site-dev@ will help...

LSD