On 5/11/06, Mikhail Loenko wrote:

2006/5/11, George Harley :
> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > OK I see.
> >
> > I had some thoughts on merging the tests. Are we going to merge
> > several tests
> > into a single file (thus losing their histories) or we will add a
> > digit to the names and
> > put into the same folder?
> >
> > For example we have math tests from at least 3 sources and currently
> > some of the tests are of several megabytes long. Are we going to mix
> > all them
> > into a single file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail
>
> Hi Mikhail,
>
> The approach I have taken in other "tidied" modules has been to merge
> all test methods for a given type into the one file containing a JUnit
> testcase dedicated to that type. It sounds like it will be more
> challenging to do this in maths for the reasons you mention.
>
> Beyond getting the related tests into a single package structure I am
> pretty neutral really on how we manage the contents of individual files.
> If in some cases a merge looks set to create a single gigantic file
> containing a very large number of test methods for a single type then
> splitting the test case class into FooTest.java, FooTest2.java etc
> sounds fine. Is that what you were suggesting ?

That is what I was talking about. At this point I can't say which way
looks better, I just have a concern about uniting some types of
files, like man-made and generated tests.

I'd say that it is OK as short-term solution to adjust tests layout. And
further tests for one class should be merged into one file (even big one) -
to avoid tests duplication and resolve ambiguities like "which unit test
class should contain the changes".

Thanks,
Stepan.

Thanks,
Mikhail

> Best regards,
> George

> >> Hi Mikhail,
> >>
> >> Good point, I should have referenced that discussion. My proposed
> >> changes are not intended to be the last word on the tests layout but
> >> more an attempt to tidy up the tests into a smaller set of packages
so
> >> that it is hopefully easier to make the agreed changes in the future.
> >> For instance, we presently have a number of test classes in different
> >> packages (but with the same base name) that are testing the same API
> >> types - I think there is value in merging these scattered tests
together
> >> so that we can all see precisely where the tests for a given public
API
> >> type should go. This will hopefully make it easier for folks to
supply
> >> patches that include unit test code as it removes any possible
> >> ambiguities about which unit test class should contain the changes.
It
> >> would remove something I have seen a few times where separate JIRA
> >> reports fixing bugs in a particular type supply unit test changes to
> >> different test classes.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> George

> >> just