Oliver Deakin wrote:
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
Some stuff that got lost (because I got consumed by J1 and I was the only one pushing on it) was the idea of ensuring that

1) the HDK could be anywhere - the was no hard-wired spot. That allowed having multiple simultaneous HDKs (ex different snapshot version) at the same time as a full build

Perhaps the HDK would have a default location which could be overridden
by passing a command line option to the build scripts - possibly in a similar
way to Marks suggestion for selection of the rmi module location [1].

Yea, but the RMI thing is hopefully going to go away, right? :)

My modifications to build an HDK from the classlib code (HARMONY-469)
use an Ant property hy.hdk to specify the root directory of the HDK. With
the current patch, this property doesnt quite propagate all the way down
to the native makefiles, but this shouldnt be too hard to extend. Once this
was done, a developer could then override the default HDK location using
a command line similar to:
     ant -Dhy.hdk=/my/hdk/location -f make/build.xml

The default HDK location would probably depend on what area you are working
on - in classlib the trunk/deploy directory is the default build location at the moment, and I think it makes sense to keep this as the default HDK directory.

That seems to work.

2) the build should ensure that the materials of the HDK never get overwritten so that we can always tell a contributor w/ a question "first, before we debug this, do a ant hdk-copy.." or something to easily get them to a known good state.

This to me sounds like we need some kind of working directory and a 'hdk-copy' target.

The working model then allows freedom of choosing an hdk or a current full build as the 'base' to work with...

I imagine that an HDK would come in a zip format, much like the current snapshots [2]. If this was the case, then once you have downloaded the HDK zip, you can unpack it into your working directory where it will be modified. However, you still have the original zip to fall back on if you need to. I'm not sure that we need an extra build target for this process - to get back to a known good state, you can just unpack the
zip again into your working directory.

Am I missing something?

Yah.

Regards,
Oliver

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[2] http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/harmony/snapshots/

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

geir

Oliver Deakin wrote:
Hi all,

I have opened HARMONY-485, which proposes an additional doc for the website describing the HDK and its contents. The layout of the HDK described in the doc matches that produced by the build script alterations raised in
HARMONY-469.

I hope that eventually (once the natives are modularised
and build scripts are altered to understand/use the HDK) the doc will expand into a more full description of how developers can use the HDK to rebuild Java/native code.

Regards,
Oliver