On 25 May 2006 at 13:30, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mark Hindess wrote:

> >> Only suggestion is to do a branches/tim/stuff1, work in there if you
> >> want people to comment (with the bonus of having it in SVN in case of
> >> problem).
> >>
> >> It's COW so the space usage won't be that bad, and you can just delete
> >> when done.
> >
> > While that's true, I think that development on branches has other costs:
> >
> >  * merging back into trunk
> >
> >  * fewer people will pay attention - nothing personal but I might be
> >    less inclined to scan commits in branches/tim than trunk ;-)
>
> Right, but right now he's not putting anything in trunk.  So you have no
> hope of seeing anything.
>
> And it doesn't matter.  If you aren't interested in what he's doing,
> don't look at it.  if you are, you are engaged anyway.
>
> > Personally, I think development is moving fast enough that it's not a
> > problem having it in trunk.  If it hadn't been in trunk, I might have
> > been less inclined to test it ... and not had the incentive to fix the
> > bugs (HARMONY-510) on my platform of choice.
>
> Are we talking about two different things?  Tim was saying that he
> wanted to avoid dumping 'junk' into SVN, yet wants to work more in the open.
>
> Working in a branch is a great way to do it.
>

> > Obviously, we should avoid breaking things like this for too long but I
> > think the occasional breakage is a fair price to pay for not having the
> > other costs.
> >
> > Of course, I seem to be the only one who even noticed this problem.
>
> Which problem?

HARMONY-510 is causing every java invocation to exit with a glibc memory
corruption crash.  Which causes all the IBM vme/harmony hosted bits of
our builds to break - they "work" but ant sees the bad return code.

> It's going to be the case that people will want to go off into a
> 'corner' and try something.  it's nice that they can do it so others can
>   watch, help, participate, and still it is out of the mainstream
> codebase until that person or people want to bring it in (or propose to
> bring it in).
>
> The merging would be their problem, just as it would be if they were
> just working at home or in the office on a private copy.
>
> The benefits seem obvious.

Sure, yes.  I missed the point.  You are absolutely right.

I thought Tim was concerned because he'd already dumped "junk" into
svn. ;-) I was pointing out that I didn't think it was a big deal - and
anyway it's really cool "junk" that I like to see.

-Mark.