On 5/25/06, Magnusson, Geir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

Right - my confusion was about not wanting to find an available port due
to some overhead that you discern.

> Sorry - I'm just confused.
> >
> > (I think that the port should be pre defined (well-known)
> have a default
> > value, and be overridable in a properties/-ish file.
>

> What's the problem if the port is selected automatically?

Repeatability.  IMO, there should be no random elements in our testing.
That leads to frustration, fear, despair, pathos, pain, agony, angst and
much pulling of limited resources, like hair, in my case.

> If I understand correctly, it means Jetty selects a free port
> from system,
> and provides an API method (e.g. getJettyPort()) to get the
> selected port.
> In this way,  listen port confliction issue could be
> completely avoided.

Only once in my life have I seen a server randomly choose a port to
listen on, and I quickly took that engineer off networking projects for
a while :)

Cases are different. If it's a real network server, who'll know your
randomly listen port?
But here is test case, just like temp files. We start the server only for
tests, and stop it when finished.
Shall we have to create a temp file named "tempfile01.tmp"? or just create a
not conflict file and delete it after used ?

Of course, configuring a listen port in property is certainly OK for me.
But IMO more and more configuration may lead to fear.

Geir