I can guarantee best performance and no yammering by removing the
logging code ;-)

Seriously, VMs know exactly which methods are being executed and their
arguments, if we need trace or debug we can get lots of information from
there.  The logging statements are the equivalent of printf's in the
code to see what is happening.

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I don't mind the dependency as much as I worry about the performance and
> the idea that our classlibraries might yammer out to stdout or logging
> infrastructure to the surprise of the users....
>
> geir
>

> Zakharov, Vasily M wrote:
>> Tim,
>>
>> I see your point of removing extra inter-dependencies between the
>> modules,
>> however I'm surprized by the idea of removing dependencies on Logging.
>>
>> Logging is a package specifically created to organize and structurize
>> logging and debugging output, and I see using it as a good side of
>> implementation
>> of any component, as it provides the capability of having rich and
>> detailed
>> debugging output that can be switched on and off using standard means.
>>
>> Removing logging calls from Harmony components will make those
>> components
>> harder to debug and develop in future. Is it what we want?
>>
>> Vasily Zakharov
>> Intel Middleware Products Division

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.