Etienne,

Some words about your example.

OPEN doesn't rely on any particular object layout, but tries to define
functional interface for object access purposes.

Open_Managed_Object_Handle is used to access this functionality from
the components other than VM Core.

In order to eliminate performance degradation in such overhead, OPEN defines:

-          Functions that JIT-compiled code calls during its execution
(So called Helpers in OPEN) for quick access to objects from the
managed code,
-          Java methods that interact with the managed code of Java
class libraries (ObjectAccessors) for quick access from Java API

They could be even inlined in managed code thus eliminating any
modularization influence.

So, any reasonable object layout could be used in OPEN compatible VM
implementation, including bidirectional one.

Thanks,
Andrey