On 6/2/06, Erik Axel Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

>> Very hard part. Colors used in Harmony are not equivalent to RI.
>> Therefore I expect that "as is" comparison will show that everything
>> is different :-). The entire component Look is not 100% copied, i.e.
>> position of the focus frame, look of the borders, etc. differ.
>> Besides, colors are theme-dependent and may differ for MetalTheme and
>> OceanTheme, for instance.

I think a possible way to partly test the wanted behaviour of our
Swing/AWT component will be to do a pixel compare using a third party
Look and Feel. A good one for this purpose could be jgoodies [1]. It
has several different L&Fs and they are all pretty complete.
I know this wouldn't test the L&Fs that Harmony are supposed to ship
(like Metal and Ocean?) but at least its a way to test the underlying
engine. All third party L&Fs should be identical on both Harmony and
RI, shouldn't they?

Hi Erik.
That you for the interesting idea!
The quick answer to your question is - not necessary. All third-party
L&Fs I've ever seen were based on BasicLookAndFeel. BasicLookAndFeel
is not used independently, however provides 95% of the components
behavior. All other L&Fs just add some "decoration", but don't provide
all the fucntionality from scratch (just because that is the major
part of Swing :-) ).

However if some third-party L&F provides "full" decoration, i.e.
provide its own look for all components overriding every setting from
BasicLookAndFeel then it can perfectly satisfy our needs: we would
have same colors on both Harmony and RI, however will be able to test
the behavioral part since only colors were changed.

Looking at this idea deeply I would ever suggest not to use any
third-party L&Fs (since they can override some behavior anyway), but
just override all color L&F keys which is very simple.

--
Anton Avtamonov,