On 6/9/06, Xiao-Feng Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Clever trick. But I don't understand why you want to create the
Address object at all.

hmm... please read my example again.  I do not create an Address
object.   And the call to invokespecial is nop'ed.

You can probably just invoke a method of
Address to generate an Address object reference, and the method
"invoke" bytecode can be identified by the JIT compiler easily and
replaced by a nop or whatever proper. In this way, the Address object
reference can be used directly as an "object reference", i.e., object
pointer.

Well actually in what I propose, instances of Address are always an
"int".  Note that the JIT never has GC maps for ints.  If  I
understand vmmagic correctly, instances of Address are only used for
pointer arithmetic.  They are never used as reference pointers.  To
use an Address as a reference pointer, you must convert it back to an
ObjectReference.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

Weldon Washburn