Probably this method is overridden by subclasses, there are similar examples
in the classlib it's a normal practice

2006/6/16, Alexei Zakharov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Alexei, it would be good if you point to a simple test that shows
> difference in behavior, quote the spec and describe, why you think
> Harmony does things right.

The spec says about persistence delegates: "The PersistenceDelegate
class takes the responsibility for expressing the state of an instance
of a given class in terms of the methods in the class's public API".

I don't like to worry the collective mind with details of black-box
testing methology I use here. This is not so important. The important
thing is the result: it seems RI version of StringPersistenceDelegate
looks something like that:

class StringPersistenceDelegate extends PersistenceDelegate {
   // Should be the main method of the persistence delegate.
   // Should return the internal representation of the given
   // java.lang.String object as a sequence of atmoic actions.
   protected Expression instantiate(Object obj, Encoder encoder)  {
       return null;
   }
}

I don't belive this implementation really "express state of"
java.lang.String instance. However, the target XML produced by
XMLEncoder - the final result of all this activity - shows that
strings are handled correctly by RI. I suppose they move String
handling logic to some other place.