On 6/16/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Why exactly is APR slightly massaged and then specially built?

Why can't we just do the regular ./configure -> make sequence to build it?

Hi Geir,

here's the reason of not building *extra* things by their own build.
Initially there was a concept not to use own build for every *extra*
things, such as APR or  CLASSLIB in order to support different
compilers and configurations. For APR it was not trivial to build it
in different modes (debug/release, different compilers etc.), that was
required for building DRLVM. For CLASSLIB it was done primary for the
same reasons and it was really easy to specify a compiler and a mode
to build.
So we have written our own builds for such *extra* things (as a part
of drlvm build). But in the APR case it was impossible to produce the
same building as APR did on linux. So the compromise decision was done
to invoke the APR configure, and then to build using drlvm build. Such
decision may be considerred as a hack, but it really simplifies the
building for different configurations (debug/release), different
compilers, etc.
But you can try to build APR using its own build (make-based), but
please be sure that it will be able to build in debug/release
configurations and it will be very good if it will be possible to
build by different compilers (msvc/icl/gcc/icc), not only by default
compilers.

Thanks.
--
Nataly Naumova,