Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Tim Ellison skrev  den 21-06-2006 11:58:
>> The build instructions are here [1], let me know if they need updating.
> Just got around to update and check.
>
> The reference to the build.xml file in the help text shown if the
> dependencies have not been downloaded does not reflect that it now is
> "ant -f make/depends.xml download" instead.

Not sure that I understand...

I just removed a dependency and did a default build, it complains like this:

====
Missing dependency.  The jar from:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/xalan/jars/xalan-2.7.0.jar

should be downloaded to:

  depends/jars/xalan-j_2.7.0/xalan.jar

Run "ant fetch-depends" to automatically fetch dependencies.
Note: Some of Harmony's dependencies are licensed under terms other
than the Apache License v2.

Total time: 0 seconds
====

Then 'ant fetch-depends' went to get it for me.
(This was changed within the last three days or so.)

>>  For example, I think they may need to catch up with the build.xml file
>> movement that took place yesterday.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/build_classlib.html
>>

> While it is building I would like to mention that the primary reason why
> I did what I did was to see if it was necessary at all to download Sun's
> JDK (to get tools.jar) to build on Ubuntu.
>
> It isn't - by downloading ecj and telling ant to use it - you can get by
> just with a JRE or a clone like gcj (or perhaps kaffe), which is
> available in the default repositories.
>
> Personally I like this approach the best :)

Yep, we have had enough code to host our own build scripts for a while
now :-)

Given that ECJ is now a dependency for our emerging javac tool, perhaps
we should make it the default in the build system too?

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.