Oliver Deakin wrote:
Paulex Yang wrote:
Seems no one objects this proposal:), so I'm going to implement the JNI1.4 enhancement in nio module, i.e, provide patch to Harmony-578, Because this implementation requires some native codes, so I probably need to reintroduce hynio.dll(.so), but I have some questions.(Excuse me about my ignorance on the native layout evolution).

At first, seems native codes will be separated into modules(I guess Oli is working on?), so should I assume my native codes will be directly put into nio modules, or still in native-src/win.IA32/nio directory? because I'm used to provide a shell to move/svn add new files in the patch, so it will be easier for me to know how others think about it.

It depends on whether you want to wait for what I'm doing or not :)
If you want to get the code out now, then you can temporarily put it under native-src/win.IA32/nio and I will move it later as part of the natives modularisation. However, if you don't mind waiting a day or so I should be able to submit my first patch to move the prefs natives. This ought to be enough of an example for you to put your native code directly into modules/nio/src/main/native.

And second, the native codes probably need portlib, so the portlib's header file must be accessible, say, portsock.h, but now it has been moved into luni/src/main/native/blabla, should I include one in my patch so that nio module can have a copy? or the header file itself should be put some other well known directory(deploy/build/include I guess)?

At build time, the "copy.native.includes" target in luni/make/build.xml is called - it copies a selection of the header files in luni/src/main/native/include that need to be shared between modules into the deploy/include directory. This is done with an explicit fileset in luni/make/build.xml - if you need to have portsock.h added to the list of shared header files, then this is the place to make that change. Just add its filename to the list, and next time you build it will appear in the deploy/include directory. Your nio code should include the headers from the deploy/include dir, and *not* directly from the luni/src/main/native/include dir.
Oli, I tried to modify the luni/make/build.xml, and it successfully copied the portsock.h, but I found I still cannot build my native codes. So I looked inside the portsock.h, and found that all its content is just to include another file: "../port/hysock.h", my native codes in modules/nio/src/main/native cannot find "../port/hysock.h" so it fails. I guess the reason why the luni natives still can build is all LUNI's native codes are still located in native-src/luni, so they can found the hysock.h in native-src/port.

Seems portsock.h is useless and confusable, so I suggest the steps below to fix this problem:
1. svn delete portsock.h in luni
2. svn move hysock.h from native-src to luni
3. update all reference to portsock.h to hysock.h
4. rebuild

If no one objects, I'll raise a separated JIRA and provide patch

I hope this makes more sense now - if it doesn't, please let me know. I am in the process of writing up some documentation for the website on the natives layout and where headers should go (and also how modules should build against the HDK) - once that is complete it should all be a lot clearer.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Paulex Yang